I had been looking for an easy method to keep my files synchronized and locally accessible on all of my computers. File sharing works to some extend if all of your computers are on the same network. But keeping my home files accessible at work and vice-versa has always been difficult. I have emailed files to myself, I have copied files to an external HD, I have used my laptop as a file transport. None of these solutions were perfect. I would always run into file synchronization issues - how could I ensure that I was working on the latest version of the file?
Since switching to the Mac just over a month ago, I have been using iDisk to keep my Macs synchronized. The problem is that iDisk is not nearly big enough for my needs, and it is not cross platform. The most I can get with iDisk is 1GB of disk space, for $150 per year. I need somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 GB to really keep all of my data synchronized.
- FolderShare allows me to synchronize files across multiple computers and access or share files with colleagues and friends.
- FolderShare allows me to share and sync important information instantly with anyone I choose.
- FolderShare allows me to access my files on any computer by just using a web browser.
- Best of all, FolderShare allows me to synchronize my files between my Macs and my PCs.
- you cannot create a library of libraries.
- once you create a library with various sub-direcories inside, you can not create a new library with just one of the sub-directories.
I wish I could create a "My Pictures" library, and then be able to create "Customer 1", "Customer 2" sub-liraries. This way, my machines could sync up to the "My Pictures" library, but my clients would only see their own sub-folders.
It is easy to get around these limitations, but FolderShare would have been even better if it allowed for this. All in wall, this is still a fantastic app!
They have a risk free trial offer that let's you try the professional version for 5 days - after which point you will be hooked and will gladly sign up for the whole year.
Warning: FolderShare is like a Porsche, don't test drive one unless you are prepared to purchase it. Once you test drive it, nothing else will do.
In short: FolderShare Just Works.